Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Power to End Unequal Treatment

When the laws of people are in line with the law of God, these laws show us what sin is, how to properly treat people and what good is. Matthew 7:12 English Standard Version Bible says, "“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." Galatians 3:28-29 the Message Bible says, "In Christ’s family there can be no division into Jew and non-Jew, slave and free, male and female. Among us you are all equal. That is, we are all in a common relationship with Jesus Christ. Also, since you are Christ’s family, then you are Abraham’s famous “descendant,” heirs according to the covenant promises."

Rosa Parks, mother of the Civil Rights Movement, fought for the implementation in American society of the idea that all people are equal. When Parks refused to give up her seat in December 1955 in obedience to segregation law, she was arrested.

Parks had been branch secretary for the Montgomery, Alabama NAACP for several years. Along with Edgar Daniel Nixon, head of the Montgomery, Alabama NAACP, and other Civil Rights leaders, Parks agreed to use her case to pursue an end to segregation. The Civil Rights leaders also decided to boycott the Montgomery buses. Christian Minister and Civil Rights Leader Martin Luther King, Jr., said, "We're going to work with grim and firm determination to gain justice on the buses in this city. And...we are not wrong in what we are doing. If we are wrong, the Constitution of the United States is wrong...If we are wrong, justice is a lie. And we are determined here in Montgomery to work and fight until justice runs down like water and righteousness like a mighty stream..."

After a little more than one year of the boycott, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of Rosa Parks, declaring Alabama's bus segregation laws unconstitutional. It was the beginning of the end of segregation.

Parks said, "People always say that I [didn't give] up my seat because I was I was tired, but that isn't true. I was not tired physically...The only tired I was, was tired of giving in."

Segregation eventually became illegal in the United States of America, but not all unequal treatment as evidenced by issues such as abortion, immigration, disability, sexuality and employment. Why do we still struggle with unequal treatment?

Christian Minister Watchman Nee said in his book The Normal Christian Life, "When God's light first shines into my heart my one cry is for forgiveness, for I realize I have committed sins before him; but when once I have received forgiveness of sins I make a new discovery, namely, the discovery of sin, and I realize not only that I have committed sins before God but that there is something wrong within. I discover that I have the nature of a sinner. There is an inward inclination to sin, a power within that draws to sin. When that power breaks out I commit sins. I may seek and receive forgiveness, but then I sin once more. So life goes on in a vicious circle of sinning and being forgiven and then sinning again. I appreciate the blessed fact of God's forgiveness, but I want something more than that: I want deliverance. I need forgiveness for what I have done, but I need also deliverance from what I am."

We all need a daily dose of God the Holy Ghost to be delivered from who we are and to live in growing evidence of the love of God on the inside showing up on the outside. The more people living in the ways of God empowered by God, the less unequal treatment and the less other sin. God living on the inside is the power to fulfill love. Romans 13:10 Amplified Bible says, "Love does no wrong to one’s neighbor [it never hurts anybody]. Therefore love meets all the requirements and is the fulfilling of the Law."

Follow me (michelelove30) on Twitter. Recommend this article on Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment