Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sex is Good, Very Good

God created the heavens and the earth in six days, and said all of creation is good, very good. So I know that sleep is good, and science is saying that adults need six to eight hours of sleep nightly.

But I have to confess I wish someone would invent a pill that would replace the need for sleep. I can relate to Virginia Woolf when she says, "Sleep, that deplorable curtailment of the joy of life."

I don't like to miss anything; I want to maximize everything. My mother says I was always like this from birth. I had to see everything; to avoid crying don't lay Michele down; prop her up in a way that she's able to access a panoramic view.

Side story here -- don't just let your baby cry on and on; she's trying to tell you to fix a problem

As a child my mom says she had the worst time getting me to go to sleep.

Ugly isn't Holy
Now as an adult I'm currently trying to lose some body fat from my 5 feet 6 inch small-boned 8 frame. I'm smaller than Marilyn Monroe who was a size 12 or 16 depending on the source. I can imagine some of you now thinking something like, "Seek inner beauty." That I possess and am becoming more inwardly beautiful daily because God the Father, God the Son Jesus Christ and God the Holy Ghost live on the inside and is showing up on the outside in increasing measure. I live by Ephesians 5:10 New Living Translation Bible which says, "Carefully determine what pleases the Lord."

Did you also know cultivating outer beauty is a Christian virtue? Ugly isn't holy! A man says to his woman in Song of Songs 7:1-7 New Living Translation Bible, "How beautiful are your sandaled feet, o queenly maiden. Your rounded thighs are like jewels, the work of a skilled craftsman. Your navel is perfectly formed like a goblet filled with mixed wine. Between your thighs lies a mound of wheat bordered with lilies. Your breasts are like two fawns, twin fawns of a gazelle. Your neck is as beautiful as an ivory tower. Your eyes are like the sparkling pools in Heshbon by the gate of Bath-rabbim. Your nose is as fine as the tower of Lebanon overlooking Damascus. Your head is as majestic as Mount Carmel, and the sheen of your hair radiates royalty. The king is held captive by its tresses. Oh, how beautiful you are! How pleasing, my love, how full of delights! You are slender like a palm tree, and your breasts are like its clusters of fruit."

Sleep has many benefits one of which is it can help me to be "slender like a palm tree." In June 2011 the New England Journal of Medicine published an article which reported that researchers at Harvard University completed a 20-year study conducted in four-year intervals of measuring the weight of 120,877 men and women who were not obese and did not have chronic diseases. These researchers discovered that adults who slept nightly in the six-to-eight-hours-of-nightly-sleep range gained fewer pounds than those whose sleep patterns varied outside the six-to-eight hours of nightly sleep.

Sexual Frustration
"It's always too early to quit." -- Norman Vincent Peale

My mom says as a child I asked a lot of questions. I wasn't always satisfied with the answers adults gave especially on subjects that made them uncomfortable. As a three-year-old I was frustrated that my maternal grandmother wouldn't answer my questions about "butts." Yes, three years old is not too young to talk to our children about sex. We are created by God as sexual beings. Jenny Walsh of La Trobe University and author of a sex guide published through the Australian Research Center on Sex, Health and Society, encourages parents to talk to our children ages two through 17 often about sex; it doesn't encourage them to engage in sex, but ensures a good education. A good sexual education includes and is not limited to labeling body parts with accurate, respectful terminology, such as "penis" and "vagina" when engaging in every-day-life activities, such as, toilet training. Also always celebrate the physical body created by God as opposed to creating a sense of sin and shame about the physical body.

Later on as a third or fourth grader I still had questions about sex. I talked with my mom. She would only tell me about female menstrual cycles and reproduction. What I really wanted know was how to have sex, but mom wouldn't go there saying I was too young for this information and needed to wait until marriage time.

Tina, who is my younger sister, I and other girlfriends enjoyed playing with the dolls Ken and Barbie. I had thoughts like, "Surely Ken and Barbie are suppose to do more than just kiss?" So I came up with a solution.

Conspiring with Tina, one night we hid under our parents' bed. Fortunately, for my parents, they caught my sister and I before any action transpired!

In the police-like interrogation of the two "criminals" my mother didn't even grill my sister for hatching this plan, she zeroed in on the visionary.

If I didn't know then that sleep was good, very good, at least I knew sex was.


No comments:

Post a Comment